Leading Anti-Bias Early Childhood Programs: A Guide to Change, for Change
Published by: Teachers College Press
Imprint: Teachers College Press
Sales Date: 2023-10-27
Published: October 2023
Imprint: Teachers College Press
Page Count: 224 Pages
Dimensions: 6.25 x 9.25
224 Pages, 6.25 x 9.25 x 0.70 in
Temporarily Out Of StockAdd to Wishlist
This popular book focuses on the leader?s role in initiating and sustaining anti-bias education in programs for young children and their families. This second edition emphasizes how the journey requires thoughtful, strategic, long-term planning that addresses all components of an early childhood care and education program. The authors, who are recognized leaders and experts on anti-bias education with extensive experience as early childhood directors, use a powerful combination of frameworks and practical tools to explain the structural and individual changes that leaders must foster. This updated edition features anti-bias leaders from diverse settings who share their insights and strategies for working with teachers and families. It is essential reading for current and aspiring leaders seeking change in early childhood settings.
- The principles and guidelines for program-wide transformation.
- Professional development activities for teachers at all levels of awareness and experience in anti-bias education.
- Approaches for engaging with families around social justice values.
- Strategies for supporting and strengthening the leader?s ability to initiate and sustain anti-bias change.
- Support for leaders in embracing and negotiating positive conflict and responding to opposition to anti-bias change.
- Tools for documenting a program?s readiness for and progress in anti-bias education.
New for the Second Edition:
- Voices and wisdom of additional leaders from the field, highlighting BIPOC center directors from diverse settings.
- Updated research, references, and terminology on early childhood care, education leadership, and anti-bias education.
- New and expanded strategies and activities for teacher professional development and family engagement based on 7 years of using the first edition.
- Expanded section on responding to opposition to anti-bias education, addressing the current political environment.
Foreword Iheoma U. Iruka ?xi
Organization of This Book ?2
Meet the Authors and Contributors ?5
1. ?Pursuing the Anti-Bias Vision: The Conceptual Framework ?11
Revisiting Anti-Bias Education ?11
Becoming an Anti-Bias Program ?13
Changing Adult Consciousness and Behavior ?15
Understanding the Phases of Adult Anti-Bias Development ?18
Recognizing Contested Grounds for Anti-Bias Education ?23
Anti-Bias Education?Within Reach ?26
2. ?Best Practices of Early Childhood Program Leaders: The Foundation for Anti-Bias Leadership ?29
Key Aspects of ECCE Program Leadership ?30
Core Attributes of Effective ECCE Program Leaders ?35
Professional Development of ECCE Program Leaders ?37
Taking on the Challenge ?38
3. ?Reading the Program and Preparing for Anti-Bias Change ?39
Collecting Preliminary Impressions: Establishing a Baseline for Planning ?40
Making Sense of the Baseline for Strategic Planning ?48
Setting the Stage for Action ?57
A Dynamic and Cyclical Process ?59
4. ?Fostering Reflective Anti-Bias Educators ?61
Building a Community of Anti-Bias Learners ?62
Committing to an Anti-Bias Education Framework ?70
Being a Lifelong Learner ?81
5. ?Engaging Families and Growing Anti-Bias Partnerships ?83
The Framework for Working With Families ?83
Introducing Anti-Bias Values and Expectations ?86
Family Anti-Bias Education and Dialogue ?95
Promoting Family Partnership and Leadership ?99
Making All Families Visible ?104
6. ?Deepening and Sustaining Anti-Bias Awareness, Knowledge, and Skills ?107
Enhancing the Professional Development of Anti-Bias Teachers ?107
Facilitating Teachers? Work With Families ?120
Staff Development Throughout the Year ?126
7. ?Managing and Negotiating Disequilibrium and Conflict ?127
Understanding Conflict ?128
Building the Foundation for Productive Conflict ?134
Turning Conflict into Growth ?137
Responding to Pushback and Opposition ?145
Thoughtful Risk-Taking ?148
8. ?Documenting and Assessing Anti-Bias Education Change ?151
Reflections About Documentation in an Anti-Bias Program ?153
Indicators and Strategies for Documenting Anti-Bias Change ?154
Strategically Managing External Standards Requirements and Assessment Tools ?170
Documentation and Empowerment ?174
Epilogue: Sustaining the Anti-Bias Vision ?177
Motivation Comes From Our Inner Core ?177
?Man Man Lai?: Slowly It Will Come ?179
Fostering a Community for Change ?179
Staying Over the Long Haul ?181
Carry on the Movement for Change ?183
About the Authors ?207